Tulipan Wildcat Nearing Completion

A small gas find has been made by Statoil on its Tulipan prospect in the Norwegian Sea.

As operator for production license 251, which covers this structure, the group is currently completing the 6302/6-1 wildcat there.

Small quantities of gas were encountered in early Tertiary sandstones at a depth of just over 2,600 meters beneath the seabed.

Statoil is currently completing a very extensive logging program in the well, which will form the basis for further analyses.

The wildcat terminated in late Cretaceous rocks about 2,950 meters beneath the seabed.

"This represents a new play model on the Norwegian continental shelf," reports Knut Chr Grindstad, exploration manager for the deepwater part of the Norwegian Sea.

"The well accordingly opens exciting perspectives in a completely new area. Unfortunately, however, it yielded only a small discovery."

Drilled by Eirik Raude, the well is located in 1,260 meters of water roughly 130 kilometers west of Hydro's Ormen Lange gas development.

Statoil has a 90 percent interest in Tulipan, with Norske Shell holding the remaining 10 percent. BG Norge is acquiring 20 percent of Statoil's share, subject to government approval.

Eirik Raude will now move to the Barents Sea to drill on Eni's Goliat discovery before spudding an exploration well on Statoil's Uranus prospect.

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit www.riglogix.com.

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
United States Broussard: AFO Monitoring Specialist, Sr
Expertise: Geoscientist
Location: Broussard, ME
Mid to Senior-Level Environmental Geologist
Expertise: Environmental Engineer|Geologist
Location: Wichita, KS
Senior GIS Analyst- Spatial Data Management
Expertise: Geoscience Technician
Location: Houston, TX
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours