ExxonMobil, Shell Secure North Sea Acreage in UK 23rd Licensing Round

ExxonMobil's subsidiary, Esso Exploration and Production UK Limited, along with co-venturer Shell U.K. Limited, have been awarded 20 contiguous blocks in the U.K. North Sea 23rd Seaward Licensing Round. This award constitutes approximately 1.2 million acres and represents the largest single license award in the history of the U.K. Continental Shelf.

Esso will have 75% equity in the venture and will be the operator. Shell will hold the remaining 25%.

The acreage is in an under-explored area of the North Sea known as the Mid North Sea High, approximately 90 miles to the east of Newcastle. The awarded area is located between the larger producing areas of the Southern Gas Basin and the Central North Sea.

Esso and Shell have committed to drill one exploration well in the initial four-year term of the license. Geological and geophysical studies will be conducted in support of the well.

Commenting on the award, Robert Olsen, Chairman, ExxonMobil International Limited (EMIL), said, "This award allows us to extend our long history of exploring the U.K. Continental Shelf. While the area carries significant risk and high uncertainty, it also has a significant upside potential that ExxonMobil and Shell want to further evaluate and explore. The Mid North Sea High is one of a number of under-explored plays that ExxonMobil is pursuing in the North Sea region and follows the 2004 award of 11 blocks in the Norwegian Danish Basin."

Russ Bellis, EMIL Exploration Director, said, "This award is the result of years of hard work based on applying our global experience to the North Sea geology. The North Sea region remains an excellent area to evaluate new plays and the Mid North Sea High fits well with our global exploration strategy."

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit www.riglogix.com.

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Technical Coordinator
Expertise: Client Representative|Process Management|Technical Writing
Location: Houston, TX
Executive Assistant
Expertise: Executive|Secretarial or Administrative
Location: United States
Regional Manager - Saybolt
Expertise: Executive|Operations Management
Location: Linden, NJ
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours