Statoil Strikes Near Vigdis
An oil discovery has been made by Statoil in the M5 structure in the Tampen area of the North Sea, which will be produced through the installations on the group's Vigdis field just to the north.
Exploration well 34/7-D-4 H was drilled to a total measured depth of 4,572 meters from Ocean Vanguard, with oil proven in Brent Group rocks dating from the Jurassic.
To optimize production from the area, a sidetrack was immediately drilled from this well as 34/7-D-4 AH to a total measured depth of 4,400 meters.
Plans call for the well to be completed for production by the Borgland Dolphin rig during October before it is brought on stream.
"It's too early to say anything about the size of this discovery," says Elin Loktu Rosnes, manager for the Tordis/Vigdis subsurface department.
"But even minor volumes will be economic to produce since we already have established infrastructure in this area."
The M5 structure lies in production license 089, where the water depth is around 251 meters.
Vigdis has been developed with subsea templates tied back to Statoil's Snorre A tension leg platform, with wellstream transfer in two pipelines.
Operator Statoil has 28.22 percent of PL 089. Its partners are Petoro with 30 percent, Hydro 13.28 percent, ExxonMobil 10.5 percent, Idemitsu Petroleum Norge 9.6 percent, Total 5.6 percent and RWE-Dea 2.8 percent.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sentry Petroleum Appoints Former Norsk Hydro Analyst to Board of Directors (Dec 29)
- Hydro Under Investigation for Former Libya Oil Operations (Oct 07)
- SeaBird First Contract Award for SeaBed Operations (Apr 28)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Diamond Offshore more info
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
- Diamond Offshore Sees Recovery when Oil "Well Over $60" (Feb 06)
Company: Dolphin Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Anadarko Terminates Drilling Contract for Belford Dolphin Drillship (Mar 16)
- Cairn Postpones Spanish Point Drill Due to Rig Delays (Jul 09)
- Newbuild Bolette Dolphin Drillship Unveils in South Korea (Jun 20)