DNV to Class World's Biggest Semisub
DNV has been contracted to class the new 6th generation semisubmersible drilling rig. When complete in 2007, Eastern Drilling 1 will be the largest of its kind ever built.
DNV has been contracted to class the Eastern Drilling 1 semi-submersible drilling rig at the Samsung Heavy Industry (SHI) yard in Korea. DNV Maritime will be responsible for the total contract and the site supervision, and DNV Technology Services will be responsible for the approval and project management in the first phase of the project.
The rig is designed with dual derrick and an advanced dynamic positioning system. The operator, Smedvig, will employ the rig in harsh-environment areas. It will be capable of drilling to 3,000 meters.
Construction work at Samsung is scheduled to start in March 2006. The contract between Eastern Drilling and Samsung includes an option to build an identical unit.
- Seadrill Takes a Financial Hit from Contractor Investments (Feb 23)
- Endeavour Enters $40 Million Strategic Investment with Smedvig (Dec 26)
- Smedvig is History, from Today It's Seadrill (Jun 01)
Company: Eastern Drilling ASA more info
- Eastern Drilling Moves to Delist from Oslo Exchange (Jun 08)
- Seadrill Now Controls Nearly All Eastern Shares, Votes (May 21)
- Seadrill Ups Stake in Eastern Drilling (May 16)