Sotto-1 Well Spudded Offshore Mauritania
ROC Oil reports that the Sotto-1 exploration well in Mauritania PSC A, commenced drilling on August 6th The well is being drilled by the Stena Tay semisub.
Sotto-1 is located approximately 110km southwest of Nouakchott, the Mauritanian capital, and 42km south of the Chinguetti Oil Field in a water depth of 320m. The planned total depth of the well is 3,330m.
The well is targeting Lower Miocene canyon fill sands of approximately the same age as the Chinguetti and Tiof oil discoveries in PSC B.
ROC's participation in the 2005 exploration drilling program in Mauritania is expected to include wells in the Woodside operated PSCs A, B and C6, and the Dana operated PSC 1.
Hydrocarbon shows will only be reported after all required logs have been run and evaluated, although ROC will release weekly updates on the exploration drilling campaign.
Commenting upon the Sotto-1 well ROC' s CEO, Dr John Doran, stated that:
"The high risk Sotto-1 well marks the start of something that has become almost a seasonal event over the past few years for ROC – participating in an exploration drilling program offshore Mauritania. Given the large size of Mauritania's offshore area and the fact that, prior to the first modern drilling campaign in 2001, commercial oil had not been discovered in the country, this year's exploration drilling program should not be viewed any differently to its predecessors – it's another important step in our understanding of this newly emergent hydrocarbon province which will probably provide a mix of results typical of such frontier drilling programs."
Interests in PSC A and Sotto -1 are Woodside as operator with 53.8465; Hardman with 24.3%; BG Group with 13.084%; Fusion Premier with 5.6151% and Roc Oil with 4.155%.
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
- Woodside Sees Output Growing 15 Pct Over Next Three Years (May 23)
Company: Roc Oil more info
- Santos Names Roc Oil CEO Anthony Neilson as CFO to Replace Andrew Seaton (Sep 19)
- SapuraKencana Clinches $72M of Work in Malaysia, India & Cote d'Ivoire (Dec 08)
- Faroe Completes Roc Oil Acquisition (Nov 06)
Company: Stena Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Norway Rig Workers Agree Wage Deal, Avoid Strike (Jun 25)
- Statoil Takes $350M Hit on Angola Exploration Halt (Nov 21)
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)