Statoil Halts Drilling Operations on Eirik Raude
Statoil has decided to stop all drilling from the Eirik Raude semisub, which is drilling the Guovca exploration well in the Norwegian sector of the Barents Sea. Hydraulic oil was accidentally spilled from the rig yesterday, April 12th, probably caused by a leak from a hydraulic hose.
We take a very serious view of the incident and are now setting up a working group with participants from the rig operator Ocean Rig, says Tim Dodson, Statoil's senior vice president for exploration on the Norwegian continental shelf. "This group will identify short and long-term measures to avoid similar leaks in the future."
"The progress of the drilling activity is of secondary importance, and we will take the time we need before we start up again."
The Guovca well was spudded on April 2nd.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
Company: Ocean Rig more info
Manages 14 Offshore Rigs
- Avenue Capital Urges Ocean Rig To Hire Advisers (Oct 17)
- Rig Contractor Ocean RIG Files For Bankruptcy Protection In US (Mar 28)
- Ocean Rig Acquires an Ultra Deepwater Drillship for $65M (Apr 27)