OMV Spuds Lauda-2 Sidetrack Well
The Lauda-1 well has drilled to the planned total depth of 3,288 meters on the up-thrown side of the fault structure as planned. A 6-meter gross light oil column was intersected and an oil sample was recovered from the top of the targeted Barrow Group sandstones.
This drilling data is currently being interpreted to determine the significance of the discovery and the possibility for an improved column height along the strike of the structure.
A side track well, Lauda-2, is currently under way to the east of Lauda-1 targeting a mapped closure on the down-thrown side of the same fault.
A possible further sidetrack along strike of the accumulation discovered in Lauda-1 is also under consideration following the Lauda-2 well.
Current operations comprise of analyzing the data from the Lauda-1 well and the drilling of the Lauda-2 sidetrack well. It is anticipated that the Lauda -2 well will reach total depth within the next few days.
The recovery of light oil at Lauda-1 on the up-thrown side of the fault is encouraging at this stage. Whilst the well has intersected only a small oil column, interpretation of the well and seismic data is proceeding to determine if there is further potential along strike on the Lauda structure.
The results of the Lauda -2 well will be important to assess the commerciality of this discovery. Once this work is completed, a decision will be made whether it is warranted to carry out further appraisal on the discovery while the Sedco 703 is on location.
The Lauda-1 well is located in WA-290-P, approximately 70 kilometers west of Barrow Island and 27 kilometers west northwest of the Woollybutt Oil Field
WA-290-P Joint Venture participants are OMV as operator with 50%; Tap with 25% and Nippon Oil with 25%.
- Mubadala Completes Drilling MNA-17 Well in the Manora Field Off Thailand (Sep 16)
- Quadrant Fails to Find Hydrocarbons at Driftwood-1 Well in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 16)
- Quadrant Spuds Driftwood-1 Well in Permit WA-320-P in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 02)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Nippon Oil Exploration more info
- Canadian Oil Sands Halts Syncrude Production After Fire, Prices Spike (Aug 31)
- Tap Updates Zola-1 Drilling in Carnarvon Basin (Dec 22)
- Iraq-Nippon Talks on Nassiriya Oil Field Deadlocked (Mar 01)