Stabil Drill Provides Tools For Mammoth Gulf Well
Well stabilization is critical to successful drilling and exploration ventures—especially at depths of more than six miles.
Stabil Drill, a Superior Energy Services company, will provide the tools necessary to drill a well with a scheduled depth of 32,000 feet. The project, led by ExxonMobil, began Feb. 9 on the West Blackbeard prospect (South Timbalier Block 168) off the coast of Louisiana's Terrebone Parish. The speculation, projected to take at least a year, may extend to 38,000 feet.
"This is an exciting endeavor and we're proud to play our part in it," said Stabil Drill CEO Sammy Russo. "It speaks highly of Stabil Drill's expertise to be chosen as a tool provider for such a unique and important project."
There is a potential yield between 1 trillion and 5 trillion feet of natural gas, potentially surpassing the current annual Gulf output of 4.5 trillion feet of natural gas.
Rowan jack-up Scooter Yeargain is drilling the well. Newfield
Exploration, BP Petrobras America, Inc., Dominion Exploration and
Production and BHP Billiton Petroleum each are participating in the
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Rowan Companies more info
Manages 22 Offshore Rigs
- Rowan Lays Off Another 50 Offshore Workers (Jun 26)
- Rowan to Lay Off 150 Offshore Workers (May 31)
- Rowan Idles Rig, Will Lay Off Up To 110 Workers (Nov 28)
Company: Stabil Drill more info
- Stabil Drill Taps New Boss for Latin American Business Development (Dec 18)
- Stabil Drill Opens New Facility in Oklahoma City (Jun 24)
- Stabil Drill Purchases Donnie Williams Tools & J&S Hole Opener Rentals (Oct 09)