Cal Dive Acquires Canyon Offshore

Cal Dive International, Inc. has agreed to acquire 85% of Canyon Offshore, Inc., a supplier of remotely operated vehicles and robotics to the offshore construction and telecommunications industries. Cal Dive would purchase the remaining 15% at a price to be determined by Canyon's performance during the years 2002 through 2004. The purchase price from $66 million $74 million is four to five times expected Canyon EBITDA. The acquisition, which is subject to the customary Hart Scott Rodino filing, is expected to close before year-end.

Owen Kratz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Cal Dive, stated, ``Acquiring Canyon will be a vertical integration which flows from the CDI policy of directly controlling all aspects on the critical path of significant projects. As marine construction support in the Gulf of Mexico moves to deeper and deeper waters, ROV systems will play an increasingly important role.'' Canyon Offshore currently owns 18 ROV systems and operates six others in three regions: United States (11), Southeast Asia (9), and the North Sea (4). In 2001 Canyon introduced the next-generation work-class ROV, the Quest. Advantages of the Quest include: electric instead of hydraulic systems, 50% smaller footprint, fewer moving parts (i.e. lower operating costs), a dynamic positioning system and improved depth rating. Canyon offers a full spread of services to the marine construction segment of the oil and gas industry, including survey, engineering, repair and maintenance. The company entered the cable burial industry in September 2000 and presently operates eight trenching systems internationally, including four customer-owned units. The average age of the Canyon ROV fleet is approximately two years.


Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours