Magellan Begins Development Program Mereenie Field

Magellan Petroleum reports that the first of two gas development wells to be drilled on the Mereenie oil and gas field this year spudded earlier this week. The development wells, East Mereenie-43 and West Mereenie-18, are designed to increase gas deliverability from the field to meet future contracted gas quantities. Magellan has a 35% interest in the field.

East Mereenie-43 is planned to be drilled to a total depth of 1273 meters true vertical depth in a deviated hole to intersect the gas-producing Ordovician Pacoota Sandstone P1 Unit, using the OD&E Rig#16. The well will be drilled into the gas-producing horizon using air/foam as the drilling fluid to minimize damage to the formation.

The Mereenie oil and gas field is located approximately 240 kilometers west-southwest of Alice Springs, Northern Territory, in the north-central part of the Amadeus Basin in Australia. The field has produced oil since 1984, and has provided gas for electricity generation in the Northern Territory, mainly in Darwin, since 1987. A total of 60 wells have been drilled on the field and for the year ended June 2004 oil production was approximately 377,000 barrels and gas sales were 12.9 Petajoules (11.0 billion cubic feet). The field is producing oil at the rate of around 1000 BOPD and sales gas at the rate of around 35 Terajoules (30 million cubic feet) per day.

Participants in the Mereenie field are Santos as operator with 65% and Magellan Petroleum with the remaining 35%.

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles
Related Articles

Brent Crude Oil : $51.46/BBL 0.61%
Light Crude Oil : $50.52/BBL 0.64%
Natural Gas : $2.83/MMBtu 5.35%
Updated in last 24 hours