NPD Grants Statoil Lifetime Extension for Gullfaks B
The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has granted Statoil permission to use the B platform on the Gullfaks field in the North Sea until January 1, 2036, which corresponds to the length of the production license.
Gullfaks B first came on stream in February 1988. In the application for extension, Statoil noted that the facility can be operated profitably up to 2031, and possibly even longer with further maturation of improved oil recovery projects and other measures.
The NPD believes that further operation of Gullfaks B is needed in order to recover the remaining resources on Gullfaks. The drilling rig has recently been upgraded and new wells are now being drilled from the facility.
“If the facility is operated in a safe and cost-effective manner, there is a potential for reserve growth and extended production,” said an NPD statement.
“A major effort has been made in recent years to recover oil from the Shetland/Lista reservoirs over Gullfaks. Gullfaks B could also be a relevant host platform for new deposits in the area,” the NPD added.
The current licensees on the field are Statoil, Petoro and OMV Norge. Final consent to the lifetime extension is contingent on approval from the Petroleum Safety Authority.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
Company: Norwegian Petroleum Directorate more info
- NPD Grants Lundin Permit for Appraisal Well Offshore Norway (Jan 20)
- Aker BP Makes North Sea Find (Dec 23)
- Norwegian Production Rises (Dec 21)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)