OMV: Wisting Central II Achieves 5,000 Bopd Flow Rate
OMV announced Wednesday that the Wisting Central II horizontal appraisal well in the Barents Sea has achieved flow rates of over 5,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.
The well, which was drilled in the Wisting field offshore Norway, aimed to confirm the potential of the discovery by proving the presence of hydrocarbons in the undrilled Wisting Central South and Central West segments. Wisting Central II also sought to prove the technical concept of long-reach horizontal wells in a shallow reservoir, about 820 feet below the seabed. The possibility to drill such wells is needed to establish the basis for a viable development of the Wisting discovery.
The well results are expected to provide an increase of in-place volumes in the Central South and Central West segments, and further reduce the overall uncertainty of contingent resources in PL537.
Wisting Central II is the first horizontal appraisal well in the Barents Sea and the fifth well in production license PL537. The well will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
Johann Pleininger, OMV executive board member responsible for Upstream, said in a company statement:
"OMV is very satisfied with the well test results, which are promising. This well is an important milestone towards a future field development on Wisting.”
OMV (Norge) AS holds a 25 percent operated interest in the PL537 license. Joint venture partners Petoro AS, Idemitsu and Tullow Oil plc each hold a 20 percent interest, with Statoil ASA holding the remaining 15 percent.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: Idemitsu more info
- OMV Says Wisting Arctic Discovery May Exceed 1B Barrels (Nov 17)
- Tullow Oil: Discovery Made in Cara Prospect Offshore Norway (Sep 16)
- Aker Secures FEED Deal from Idemitsu for Blocks 05-1b, 05-1c Off Vietnam (Jul 12)