Maersk Oil Threatens to Shut Down Tyra Field in 2018
Maersk Oil announced Monday that production from Tyra East and Tyra West in the Danish North Sea will cease on October 1, 2018, if an “economically viable solution” for continued operations is not identified during this year.
The Tyra facilities are approaching the end of their operational life due to a combination of more than 30 years of production and subsidence of the underground chalk reservoir, reducing the gap between the facilities and the sea. Over the last 15 years the Danish Underground Consortium (DUC) has spent more than DKK 1 billion ($152.8 million) on reinforcing the structures to prolong production.
Maersk Oil Denmark Managing Director Martin Rune Pedersen said in a company statement:
“Together with our partners in DUC we are now evaluating long term economically viable solutions for recovery of the remaining resources. As part of this, we will consider the terms under which a rebuild of the facilities could take place. The basis for a decision needs to be in place by the end of 2016 to ensure future production from the field.”
Tyra is Denmark’s largest gas field and the facilities are the processing and export centre for all gas produced by DUC. The Tyra field is operated by Maersk Oil on behalf of the DUC, a partnership between A.P. Moller – Maersk (31.2 percent), Shell (36.8 percent), Nordsøfonden (20 percent) and Chevron (12 percent).
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
- Japan's JERA Imports First LNG Cargo Shipped From Chevron's Wheatstone Site (Nov 13)
- Chevron Canada Okays Duvernay Development (Nov 07)
Company: Maersk Oil & Gas more info
- Maersk Oil CEO To Step Down After Total Takeover (Sep 27)
- Maersk Stands to Get Another $7.5 Billion for Energy Divestments (Aug 21)
- Fars News Agency: Maersk Sees Up To 140,000 Bpd Potential For Iran Field (Aug 01)
Company: Nordsofonden more info
- Maersk Oil Threatens to Shut Down Tyra Field in 2018 (Apr 04)
- Maersk Oil Commences Production from New Platform in Danish North Sea (Mar 31)
- Wintershall Confirms Oil at Ravn-3 in Danish North Sea (Dec 17)