SNM's Newbuild PSLV Sapura Jade Commences Work for Petrobras Off Brazil
Malaysia's SapuraKencana Petroleum Berhad reported Friday that its presence in Brazil continues to grow after entering the market with its first pipelaying support vessel (PLSV), Sapura Diamante, on June 28, 2014. On Feb. 14, 2016, its latest PLSV, Sapura Jade commenced work with Petroleo Brasileiro S.A (Petrobras) on schedule in Brazil.
SapuraKencana’s offshore operations are being executed in Brazil for Petrobras by its Brazilian joint venture company Sapura Navegacao Maritima (SNM), a 50:50 venture with offshore drilling company Seadrill Ltd.
In November 2011 and in June 2013, SapuraKencana’s joint venture company in Brazil, SNM, was awarded two major contracts by Petrobras worth a total of $4.1 billion to build and operate a total of six PLSVs for offshore deepwater flexible pipelay work in Brazil.
The Sapura Jade is the fourth of a series of six PLSVs contracted under a long-term contract by Petrobras for deepwater flexible pipelay work in Brazil. Other PLSVs already in service with Petrobras includes the Sapura Diamante, Sapura Topazio, and Sapura Onix, all of which started work on schedule or ahead of schedule and continue to operate at strong utilization rates.
“SapuraKencana is committed to delivering its promise on the PLSVs to Petrobras. The commencement of our fourth PLSV demonstrates our confidence in our Brazilian venture and mutually, Petrobras’ continued belief in our ability to deliver top operational performance,” said Shahril Shamsuddin, president and group Chief Executive Officer of SapuraKencana Petroleum.
Following the Sapura Jade, the final two PLSVs, the Sapura Esmeralda and the Sapura Rubi are set to be delivered progressively in 2016.
Similar to previous vessels, Sapura Jade is equipped with a 550 ton vertical (tiltable) lay system for the deployment of a range of flexible products in up to 9,842 feet (3,000 meters) water depth for Petrobras’ pre-salt developments offshore Brazil. It is also fitted with world class Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) developed and built by SapuraKencana’s Australian subsidiary, Total Marine Technology Pty Ltd.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
- CEO: Brazil's Petrobras Could Bid On More Blocks In Pre-Salt Auction (Oct 24)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)
Company: SapuraKencana Petroleum Bhd more info
- SapuraKencana: Short-Term Industry Outlook Uncertain (Dec 08)
- Malaysia's SapuraKencana Posts 7.1% Gain in 2Q FY17 PAT to $27M (Sep 29)
- SKTLO Bags $65.3M Contracts for Work Offshore Malaysia, Vietnam (Sep 01)