Faroe to Drill 3 Exploration Wells in 2016 despite Oil Price
Northwest Europe-focused junior explorer Faroe Petroleum confirmed Friday that it will be involved in three exploration wells offshore Norway in spite of the low oil price. The firm also expects to see progress with a number of North Sea field development projects this year.
In an operational update, Faroe said that the Barents Sea-located Kvalross well, where drilling started on January 11, is progressing according to plan. Results from the Wintershall-operated well are expected by the end of this quarter. In the Norwegian North Sea, an exploration well on the Brasse prospect (where Faroe is the operator with a 50-percent interest) is planned for the summer of 2016. Faroe has secured the Transocean Arctic (mid-water semisub) rig for this operation.
Meanwhile, Faroe said that the Njord partnership, led by operator Statoil, is planning to drill a new prospect on the North Flank of the Njord field during the second half of 2016.
Faroe said that it is continuing to build its portfolio of exploration licenses organically. Active participation in licensing rounds across core areas “has proven to be a highly-successful and cost-effective strategy” for the company, it said. The firm was recently awarded a further six new prospective exploration licenses, including two operatorships, under the 2015 Norwegian APA licensing round.
In terms of development projects, Faroe said the Njord Future Project is progressing to plan, with a final investment decision expected during the fourth quarter of this year. If the decision is made to go ahead, the project will start production in 2019.
Faroe also reported that the Butch oilfield’s FEED (front-end engineering and design) project is progressing to plan. The field, which is planned as a tie-back to the BP-operated Ula oilfield, will see its final investment decision and field development plan submission occur in 4Q 2016.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
Company: Wintershall more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Libya's NOC, Wintershall Strike Interim Deal To Resume Output (Jun 13)
- BASF Sees Role of Oil and Gas Unit Declining Further (May 12)
- Norway Awards 56 Oil And Gas Licences In Mature Areas (Jan 17)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)