Chaos in North Sea as Storm Kills Rig Worker
Stormy weather affected work on several oilfields in the North Sea Wednesday and Thursday with one oil worker dying on a rig and a barge breaking anchor, prompting a platform evacuation.
Statoil reported late Wednesday that a fatality had occurred on the COSL Innovator (mid-water semisub) rig, and two other workers injured, when a breaking wave hit the rig. The two injured workers have been flown by Sea King helicopter to shore, where they are receiving medical treatment. The COSL Innovator is currently working on the Troll field in the Norwegian Noth Sea, west of Bergen.
On Tuesday, BP was forced to evacuate its Valhall platform after a barge broke anchor and drifted towards the installation. However, in a brief phone call with Rigzone Thursday lunchtime a BP Norway spokesman said that the barge had since passed the Valhall platform "without any damaged being caused at all" and that the workers were being returned to the platform. "We are moving back to a normal situation," he said.
Meanwhile, according to Reuters, Norwegian broadcaster TV2 reported earlier Thursday that ConocoPhillips is evacuating its Ekofisk platform, which is located some 200 miles southwest of Stavanger in the Norwegian North Sea.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Aker BP Buys Hess' Norway Unit For $2B (Oct 24)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
Company: China Oilfield Services Ltd (COSL) more info
- China's COSL Completes 3D Seismic Ops in North Barents Sea (Aug 10)
- COSL Completes its First Exploration Assignment in the Far East (Aug 08)
- COSL Appoints Qi Meisheng as CEO and President, Replaces Li Yong (Jun 16)