BG Group Buys a 35% Stake in Cyprus's Aphrodite Gas Field
BG Group announced Monday that it has secured a 35-percent holding in Block 12, offshore Cyprus, which contains the Aphrodite gas field that was discovered in December 2011.
BG said that the addition of Aphrodite to its portfolio represents a potential source of gas to Egypt where the firm has equity positions in the LNG export facility at Idku as well as LNG offtake rights to lift 3.6 million tons per annum.
Aphrodite, located just over 100 miles from Limassol, the field is estimated to contain a mean gross resource of approximately 4.5 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. It is one of several gas fields in the eastern Mediterranean Sea that some oil and gas industry followers believe could be combined to provide supply a significant amount of natural gas to Western Europe in years to come. Last week, after talking to the Republic of Cyprus's Ambassador to Israel at the Universal Oil & Gas 2015 conference in Tel Aviv, Rigzone reported that the country is keen to involve Israeli and Egyptian gas reserves in the eastern Mediterranean into an overall export solution.
Noble Energy operates the Aphrodite gas field along with the Leviathan and Tamar discoveries offshore Israel. Egypt's giant offshore Zohr field was discovered by Italy's Eni at the end of August this year.
BG Group is currently undergoing a takeover by Royal Dutch Shell, which agreed to buy the business in the spring of this year.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
- Mexico And Indonesia Could Be Next Up For Eni's Asset Sales (Oct 27)
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- About 75,000 Bpd Of Gulf Oil Output Still Shut After Shell Fire (Nov 15)
- Shell's Pennsylvania Project Hits Milestone (Nov 08)
- Shell Enchilada Oil Platform In Gulf Of Mexico Shut After Fire (Nov 08)