Brazil And Mexico Vie for Cash From Oil Explorers in Price Rout
(Bloomberg) -- Brazil and Mexico are preparing to compete for investments from some of the same oil majors when they hold auctions that are only a week apart at a time the price rout is prompting spending cuts.
Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Statoil ASA and Cnooc Ltd. have registered to compete for the next auctions in both Mexico and Brazil, scheduled for Sept. 30 and Oct. 7, respectively. Mexico has already sweetened terms for producers after the country’s first-ever auction on July 15 only drew bids for two of the 14 blocks for sale.
“In times of low oil prices, all companies need low costs and promising returns,” John Forman, a consultant and former director at Brazil’s oil regulator, said in an interview in Rio de Janeiro. “Brazil and Mexico will compete for resources and low-cost projects will be key.”
Brazil’s oil regulator, known as ANP, released Monday a list of the 37 companies qualified to participate in the first offshore round in almost two years. BP Plc, Exxon Mobil Corp. and Galp Energia SPGS SA are among the competitors. In Mexico, 20 companies are qualified to bid for rights to produce at nine shallow-water fields in the Gulf of Mexico, including Chevron Corp. and Oil and Natural Gas Corp., or ONGC.
Brazil slowed the pace of oil auctions after it discovered giant deposits in the so-called pre-salt region almost a decade ago, and then decided to overhaul the country’s oil legislation to increase the government’s control of the resources. No acreage in the pre-salt region will be offered in the next bid round.
“All of a sudden companies saw their revenues fall by half, and that forces cost cuts and greater selectivity in investments,” Jorge Camargo, the head of the Brazilian Petroleum Institute, an industry lobby known as IBP.
To contact the reporters on this story: Sabrina Valle in Rio de Janeiro at email@example.com; Adam Williams in Mexico City at firstname.lastname@example.org To contact the editors responsible for this story: David Marino at email@example.com Peter Millard, Robin Saponar
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- BP Chairman Svanberg to Retire; Search Starts for Successor (Oct 19)
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
Company: ONGC more info
Operates 36 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
- Biggest Indian Explorer Is Said to Plan First Ever Borrowings (Aug 10)
Company: CNOOC more info
- CNOOC Completes Test Runs at Huizhou Refinery in Guangdong - Report (Oct 09)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- China's CNOOC Begins Oil Partner Hunt in Mexico Deep Waters (Sep 15)
Company: Galp Energia more info
- Galp Cuts Investment Plan, Sees Higher EBITDA Growth (Feb 21)
- Eni Board Authorizes Investment for First Phase of Coral Discovery (Nov 18)
- European Oil, Gas Companies Looking to Cut Costs Further (Oct 31)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell Shale Leader Discusses the 'Non-Moonshot' (Oct 17)
- Jacobs Signs Sulfur Recovery Tech Deal with Shell-Pique's JV (Oct 11)
- Refinery Blazes to Dent Shell 3Q Earnings (Oct 05)