(Bloomberg) -- Technip SA swung to a loss in the second quarter after Europe’s biggest oil-services provider took a writedown amid an industry downturn it expects to last for longer than anticipated.
The loss reached 306.9 million euros ($336.7 million) compared with a profit of 158 million euros the previous year, the Paris-based company said Thursday in a statement. A one-off charge of 570 million euros brought the loss to more than the 195 million-euro average of eight analysts compiled by Bloomberg.
Technip confirmed an outlook given earlier this month and said its order intake fell more than four-fold to 1.5 billion euros during the period.
“The oil and gas industry is likely to be adversely impacted for longer than anticipated by the downturn,” Chief Executive Officer Thierry Pilenko said in the statement. The company has started a “major restructuring plan across the group to address the challenging market outlook.”
The slump in oil prices has led customers to cut new projects and put pressure on suppliers like Technip to decrease costs on existing ones, Chief Financial Officer Julian Waldron said on a conference call.
Prolonged and Harsh
Technip last month unveiled a plan to take a 650-million writedown and cut 6,000 jobs amid an industry slowdown that Pilenko has called “prolonged and harsh.”
Technip said it would cut 16 percent of its workforce and more than a third of its fleet of oil-service ships to yield cost savings of 830 million euros through 2017. The write down partly relates to two refinery projects in Brazil and Algeria.
View Full Article
Copyright 2017 Bloomberg News.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Click on the button below to add a comment.
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Most Popular Articles
From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you