The Future of Ice Gas
The researchers showed that these abiotic methane hydrates were remarkably stable, spanning back approximately two million years, and that they exist in very deep water, which makes the methane less vulnerable to potential release, according to the study. The release of methane from gas hydrates into the atmosphere is a potential hazard for companies looking to commercialize the ice gas resource.
Elsewhere in the Arctic, JOGMEC and the National Energy Technology Laboratory – an affiliate of the U.S. DOE – recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding concerning Japan-US collaboration on methane hydrate development in Alaska. As part of the MoU JOGMEC and NETL will conduct joint research into ice gas in Alaska until around 2019, which could lead to the development of commercialization technology.
It's unclear exactly when methane hydrates will enter a state of commercialization: Japan's Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Toshimitsu Motegi believes it could be as early as 2023, although the U.S. Geological Survey noted that the National Petroleum Council thinks that we will not see significant ice gas production until after 2025. One thing is clear though – if methane hydrates can be commercialized, it'll be great news for ice gas-rich nations all over the world.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- The Future of Ice Gas (Jun 23)
- Daniel Poneman, Deputy US Energy Secretary, To Step Down (Jun 19)
- DOE Expands Methane Hydrates Research (Nov 21)
Company: U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) more info
- USGS Releases First-Ever Maps of Induced, Natural Earthquake Hazards (Mar 28)
- USGS Estimates 21 Million Barrels at California's Monterey Formation (Oct 06)
- Oil, Gas Works on Solution to Reduce Freshwater in Fracking (Sep 15)
Company: Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corp. (JOGMEC) more info
- JOGMEC Interested In Global Investments Including Rosneft (Sep 07)
- JOGMEC, Inpex, Marubeni Ink Exploration Deal with Rosneft (Dec 15)
- Inpex to Enter Production Phase at Russian Ichyodinskoye Field (Dec 14)