Lansdowne Oil & Gas: Midleton Prospect Well to be Drilled in August

Junior energy firm Lansdowne Oil & Gas announced Monday that a well will be drilled at the Midleton prospect in license 4/07, offshore Ireland, in August 2015.

Following a contract agreement between PSE Seven Heads Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of PSE Kinsale Energy Limited, and Diamond Offshore Drilling, the well will be drilled by Diamond’s Ocean Guardian (mid-water semisub). A well site survey has already been completed over the Midleton location using the Polar Surveyor survey vessel.

The Midleton prospect has been assessed as having a potential 330 billion cubic feet of GIIP (gas initially in place), with 268 Bcf recoverable, according to Lansdowne. This prospect lies approximately 12 miles northeast of the Kinsale Head gas field, which is believed to hold 1.7 trillion cubic feet reserves.

Kinsale Energy holds an 80 percent interest in license 4/07, with Lansdowne Oil & Gas holding the remaining 20 percent. Kinsale Energy will fund 100 percent of the costs of drilling the well on the Midleton prospect and the company is currently continuing work on well planning, with further announcements expected to be made in the near future.

On November 19, 2014, Lansdowne Oil & Gas announced that it was entering into a farm-in agreement with PSE Kinsale Energy Limited. Under the terms of the agreement, Kinsale Energy acquired an 80 percent interest in, and became the operator of, license 4/07. The deal also required Kinsale Energy to fund 100 percent of the costs of drilling a well on the Midleton prospect.

Lansdowne CEO Steve Boldy commented in a company statement:

"We are pleased with the rapid progress Kinsale Energy has made since taking over as operator and look forward to the drilling of the Midleton well later this year."

A graduate in journalism from Cardiff University, Andreas has eight years of experience as a business journalist. Email Andreas at


Click on the button below to add a comment.
Post a Comment
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

Related Companies
For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

More from this Author
Andreas Exarheas
Assistant European Editor | Rigzone
 -  HeliOffshore Deems North Sea Helicopte... (Mar 23)
 -  Oil, Gas Workers Rally in WV to Suppor... (Mar 22)
 -  Wood Group Aims to Grow Employment in ... (Mar 21)
 -  HITS JIP Helps EM&I Increase Employmen... (Mar 21)
 -  Scotland Urged to Open Up on Mental He... (Mar 20)

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Well Servicing Rig Jobs - North Dakota, USA
Expertise: Derrickman|Floorhand / Roughneck|Production Operator
Location: North Dakota, United States, ND
Field Superintendent - US Drilling Rig Operations
Expertise: Drilling Superintendent|Field Service Tech
Location: United States
Operations Manager - US Drilling Rig Operations
Expertise: Drilling Foreman / Drilling Supervisor|Rig Manager
Location: United States
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $50.56/BBL 0.15%
Light Crude Oil : $47.7/BBL 0.70%
Natural Gas : $3.05/MMBtu 1.32%
Updated in last 24 hours