ST PETERSBURG, Russia, June 17 (Reuters) - Rosneft is working on schedule in the Arctic Kara Sea, where it drilled the first well last year, CEO Igor Sechin said, but declined to say when it would resume operations in the area seen as Russia's next oil province.
Sources told Reuters last week that the state oil producer would be forced to postpone drilling a second well in the Kara for at least two more years, a result of Western sanctions on Russia over the Ukraine crisis.
Rosneft, the world's top listed oil firm by output, drilled a first exploration well known as Universitetskaya-1 last year in the Kara Sea, part of the Arctic Ocean, with the help of U.S. partner ExxonMobil which provided the rig.
Sechin, a close ally of President Vladimir Putin, on Wednesday declined to say when the second well would be drilled.
"No projects have been derailed. Let's not aggravate the situation around the offshore," Sechin said, when asked on resuming work there.
"I am telling you once again - let's not run ahead of ourselves... Sometimes adjustments are needed but this is not linked to anything."
Rosneft, in which BP owns almost a 20 percent stake, had already delayed the drilling of the second well from 2015, after it failed to find a rig on time. It had said that the first well held light oil and that the field could hold 130 million tonnes of technically recoverable oil reserves.
View Full Article
Copyright 2016 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Click on the button below to add a comment.
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Most Popular Articles
From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you