Talks Surface on Rosneft Taking 49% Stake in India's Essar Oil
Russia's OAO Rosneft is believed to be negotiating for a 49 percent stake in India's privately owned oil and gas company Essar Oil Ltd., giving the firm a foothold in the South Asian country, according to a report by Indian daily The Economic Times Tuesday.
The cost of acquiring the interest in Essar Oil is likely to cost Rosneft, the world's largest publicly traded firm, around $7 billion to $8 billion (INR 420 billion to INR 480 billion).
There was no comment on the proposed acquisition by Rosneft when it was contacted by The Economic Times although Essar responded by stating that "it is not our policy to comment on market speculations."
A source told the Indian daily that Rosneft may be keen to purchase a stake in Essar's flagship Vadinar Refinery -- India's second largest refinery -- with the Russian company paying for the acquisition through a combination of cash and crude supply.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Rosneft Seals First Asian Refinery Deal With Essar Oil Purchase (Aug 21)
- Russia's Rosneft, Partners to Invest around $12.9B in India's Essar Oil (Oct 15)
- Essar Oil Emerges as India's Largest Unconventional Gas Producer (Jun 22)
Company: Rosneft more info
- US Transparency Reversal Stings Canadian, European Oil Firms (Feb 03)
- ONGC Videsh Inks Deal with Rosneft to Up Stake in Russia's Vankorneft (Sep 15)
- Rosneft Makes Discovery at Wild Orchid Gas Condensate Field Off Vietnam (Aug 12)