In Amenas Gas Plant Attack Mastermind Killed in US Air Strike
Libyan officials have said that a top Islamist militant who organized the deadly attack on the In Amenas gas plant in southern Algeria in January 2013 has been killed, according to reports from several news agencies.
A report on the BBC Web site Monday morning stated that Mokhtar Belmokhtar had been targeted by the US military and that an air strike was successful.
The In Amenas attack led to the deaths of 39 foreign oil and gas workers as well as an Algerian security guard. BP lost four employees in the attack, while Norwegian oil and gas major Statoil lost five workers.
An Algerian terrorist, Mokhtar Belmokhtar was the leader of the group Al Murabitoun and had also been the military commander of Al Qaeda in the Maghreb.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Increasing the World's Oil Reserves with Digitization (Oct 09)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)