Santos Says First Phase of Australia's GLNG Field Construction Completed
Santos Ltd. reported Friday that all three of Santos GLNG’s major natural gas compression hubs in Queensland, Australia are now operational, marking the end of the first phase of gas field construction.
The achievement comes after testing of the third and final hub, near Roma, was completed and handed over to the long-term operations team.
Santos Vice President Queensland Trevor Brown said: “The construction and commissioning of these three major hubs is a significant milestone on our pathway to first LNG (liquefied natural gas) production around the end of the third quarter of this year.”
“This is a year of delivery for Santos GLNG. Our gas field facilities are complete, our wells are performing strongly, our pipeline is supplying gas to our LNG plant, and we’re approaching 95 percent completion overall,” Brown said.
Work on the hubs began in 2012 and required 18.6 million work hours to complete construction and commissioning. Importantly, work was completed with an excellent safety record.
Together, the three hubs required 2,900 tons of steel, 766,328 cubic feet (21,700 cubic meters) of concrete, 652 miles (1,050 kilometers) of cabling, and 65 miles (105 kilometers) of pipework.
The three hubs service an area of approximately 2,702 square miles (7,000 square kilometers), and at nameplate capacity will be able to process 555 terajoules of gas per day, the equivalent daily consumption of more than nine million homes.
Santos GLNG is a pioneering joint venture between Santos, PETRONAS, Total and KOGAS to supply liquefied natural gas to global markets.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
- Australia's Santos To Focus On Long-Life Gas In Growth Push (Dec 08)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 9 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Petronas' Canadian Unit To Look At Other LNG Opportunities (Oct 11)
- Adviser: Malaysia's Petronas Puts Some Canadian Assets Up For Sale (Oct 04)
- Petronas Chem Sells Half Of Polymers Business To Saudi Aramco For $900MM (Oct 02)
Company: Kogas more info
- S. Korea's KOGAS Says Interested In US Shale Gas Projects (Feb 10)
- Total, Shell, Eni Eligible to Bid for New Iran Oil, Gas Projects (Jan 03)
- Eni Board Authorizes Investment for First Phase of Coral Discovery (Nov 18)