Drilling Continues at Irwin-1 Exploration Well in Onshore Perth Basin
AWE Limited, reported that as at 06:00 hours (6.00am) AWST Wednesday the Irwin-1 exploration well, located in the onshore Perth Basin, Western Australia, was at a measured depth of 3,540 feet (1,079 meters) and drilling ahead in 12.25 inch hole to the next planned section depth of 9,088 feet (2,770 meters) following the successful installation of 13.375 inch surface casing at 2,995 feet (913 meters).
The Irwin prospect straddles the EP320 (AWE 33 percent) and L1 (AWE 50 percent, Operator) boundary and the Irwin-1 drilling program is being operated by AWE under an agency agreement with joint venture partner, Origin Energy Limited.
The Irwin-1 exploration well was spud March 25. The well will be drilled vertically to a planned total depth of 13,333 feet (4,064 merters) and is forecast to take approximately seven weeks to complete.
Irwin-1 is designed to test the gas potential to the east of the Senecio and Waitsia gas fields and is targeting the Dongara and Wagina tight sandstone formations, the Carynginia Shale and Irwin River Coal Measures, as well as deeper conventional targets in the Kingia and High Cliff Sandstones.
If the results are positive, AWE may undertake a flow test of the Irwin-1 well to better establish the commercial potential of the reservoir(s). The approved work program for the Irwin-1 exploration well does not include hydraulic fracture stimulation.
The Irwin-1 exploration well is located approximately 14.1 miles (22.7 kilometers) east of Dongara, Western Australia. Irwin-1 is the first well of a three well drilling program planned for the Perth Basin in 2015. It will be followed by the Waitsia-1 and Waitsia-2 appraisal wells on the newly discovered Waitsia Gas Field.
The Joint Venture partners in EP320 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries) - 33.0 percent
- Origin Energy Limited (via subsidiaries, Operator) - 67.0 percent
The Joint Venture partners in L1 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries, Operator) - 50.0 percent
- Origin Energy Limited (via subsidiaries) - 50.0 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)