AWE Spuds Irwin-1 Exploration Well in Onshore Perth Basin
AWE Limited disclosed Wednesday that the Irwin-1 exploration well, located in the onshore Perth Basin, Western Australia, was spud at 08:45 hours (8:45 am) AWST on March 25. The Irwin prospect straddles the EP320 (AWE 33 percent) and L1 (AWE 50 percent, Operator) boundary and the Irwin-1 drilling program is being operated by AWE under an agency agreement with joint venture partner, Origin Energy Limited.
As at 10:18 hours (10.18am) AWST today, the well was at a measured depth of 377 feet (115 meters) and was drilling ahead in a 17.5 inch hole to a planned depth of 3,051 feet (930 meters) in preparation for the installation of the 13.375 inch surface casing.
The Irwin-1 exploration well will be drilled vertically to a planned total depth of 13,333 feet (4,064 meters) and is forecast to take approximately seven weeks to complete. The well is designed to test the gas potential to the east of the Senecio and Waitsia gas fields and is targeting the Dongara and Wagina tight sandstone formations, the Carynginia Shale and Irwin River Coal Measures, as well as deeper conventional targets in the Kingia and High Cliff Sandstones.
If the results are positive, AWE may undertake a flow test of the Irwin-1 well to better establish the commercial potential of the reservoir(s). The approved work program for the Irwin-1 exploration well does not include hydraulic fracture stimulation.
The Irwin-1 exploration well is located approximately 14.1 miles (22.7 kilometers) east of Dongara, Western Australia. Irwin-1 is the first well of a three well drilling program planned for the Perth Basin in 2015. It will be followed by the Waitsia-1 and Waitsia-2 appraisal wells on the newly discovered Waitsia Gas Field.
The Joint Venture partners in EP320 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries) - 33.0 percent
- Origin Energy Limited (via subsidiaries, Operator) - 67.0 percent
The Joint Venture partners in L1 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries, Operator) - 50.0 percent
- Origin Energy Limited (via subsidiaries) - 50.0 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)