Gas Discovery at Ivory Well Inconclusive
Norwegian independent explorer Rocksource reported Tuesday that the Ivory exploration well on production license 528 in the Norwegian Sea has discovered a gas accumulation at the top of its Kvitnos target, but that it was not possible to determine if the gas discovery is economically recoverable.
The primary objective of the Ivory well was to prove the presence of hydrocarbons in the Kvitnos formation sandstones, with a secondary target in the deeper Lysing formation. Rocksource said that extensive data acquisition has been performed, including cores, wireline logs, fluid samples and VSP. The discovered hydrocarbon column in the Kvitnos formation is estimated at the well location to be 39 feet total vertical depth, thinner than pre-drill estimates.
In the Lysing formation secondary target the well penetrated a poorer-than-expected water-bearing sand.
Rocksource said its preliminary volume estimates indicate a resource base below the pre-drill low-case estimate of 280 billion cubic feet of gas.
The Ivory prospect is located some 13 miles northeast of the Statoil-operated Aasta Hansteen field development. Rocksource holds a 10-percent interest in PL528, with partners including operator Centrica (40 percent), Statoil (25 percent), Wintershall (10 percent), Atlantic Petroleum (nine percent) and Repsol (six percent).
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Centrica PLC more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Centrica Merges Oil Business with Bayerngas to Tap Younger Fields (Jul 17)
- Gazprom Smells Opportunity as UK's Biggest Gas Store Shuts (Jun 23)
Company: Wintershall more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Libya's NOC, Wintershall Strike Interim Deal To Resume Output (Jun 13)
- BASF Sees Role of Oil and Gas Unit Declining Further (May 12)
- Norway Awards 56 Oil And Gas Licences In Mature Areas (Jan 17)
Company: Atlantic Petroleum more info
- Atlantic Petroleum Production Drops (Jan 06)
- Atlantic Petroleum Continues to Increase Production (Sep 02)
- Atlantic Petroleum more than Doubles Production in July 2015 (Aug 04)
Company: Rocksource ASA more info
- Gas Discovery at Ivory Well Inconclusive (Dec 02)
- VNG's Pil Well Flows at 6,710 Bopd (Apr 10)
- VNG Norge Hits Oil, Gas with Pil Well (Mar 06)