Exxon, Chevron Results Boosted by Refining as Oil Prices Slip
Oct 31 (Reuters) – A surge in refining profits boosted quarterly results at Exxon Mobil Corp and Chevron Corp , helping to offset declining oil and gas production and falling crude oil prices.
Both companies reported better-than-expected third-quarter profits on Friday, with executives touting the importance of owning massive refineries alongside oil and gas wells. Refining profits tend to rise when oil prices fall, though low prices dent the profitability of wells. Having both in a company stable can allow for a bit of insurance during price swings.
"Exxon Mobil's quarterly results demonstrate the strength of our integrated business model," Chief Executive Officer Rex Tillerson said in a statement after his company posted results.
Chevron, the second-largest U.S. oil producer after Exxon Mobil, said production sagged as new wells failed to offset declines at old wells. Still, the fall in crude oil prices in recent months - down about 25 percent since July - helped profit at the company's refining unit jump nearly fourfold.
"It was a common theme for both companies," said Brian Youngberg, an oil company analyst with Edward Jones in St. Louis. "Refining exceeded expectations and basically offset lower oil prices and the lack of production growth."
Shares of Chevron dipped 0.1 percent to $117.18 while Exxon edged up 0.3 percent at $94.75.
(Reporting by Anna Driver in Houston and Ernest Scheyder; in Williston, North Dakota; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)