Petrobras Confirms Oil Find at Espirito Santo Basin Offshore Brazil
Japan's Inpex Corp. announced Wednesday it has discovered deposits of quality oil at a depth of approximately 11,647 feet (3,550 meters) through appraisal drilling in the BM-ES-23 concession in the Espirito Santo Basin offshore Brazil. The oil deposits were confirmed through analysis of logging data and fluid samples obtained by a wireline tester.
The concession lies 71 miles (115 kilometers) off the coast of the State of Espirito Santo in southeastern Brazil, where water depth ranges from 5,905 feet (1,800 meters) to 6,561 feet (2,000 meters). Through Inpex Petroleo Santos Ltda., a subsidiary, Inpex owns a 15 percent participating interest in the concession, where Inpex has engaged in exploration activities alongside partners, Petrobras (operator) and Shell, which own 65 percent and 20 percent participating interests, respectively.
Moving forward, Inpex and its partners will analyze and evaluate the data retrieved from the well, and continue to drill down to a depth of 14,763 feet (4,500 meters) to assess the possibility of new oil and natural gas deposits.
Inpex is committed to proactive exploration activities in promising areas including deepwater zones for the sustained expansion of its upstream business, one of the company’s growth targets.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
- Australia's $180B LNG Megaproject Boom Enters Final Stretch (Aug 14)
- Inpex Says Floating Unit For Australia LNG Project To Set Sail Soon (Jul 10)