Filipino-UK Firm To Drill For Gas In Disputed Sea
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The chairman of a Philippine energy company said Friday a Chinese state-owned oil producer hasn't responded to a revived proposal to jointly explore a disputed area of the South China Sea but drilling will go ahead by 2016 with or without a partnership.
Manuel Pangilinan said that Filipino-British company Forum Energy PLC communicated the offer to China National Offshore Oil Corp. to explore Reed Bank, northwest of the Philippine island of Palawan. Philippine and Chinese vessels had a confrontation there three years ago.
Pangilinan said the Chinese company, also known as CNOOC, has not responded but Forum is continuing its attempts to engage with the Chinese company. He said the project has not attracted other investors because it is in an area of conflicting territorial claims and other investors did not want to offend China.
Pangilinan is chairman of Philex Petroleum Corp., majority owner of London-based Forum Energy that has been awarded the exploration contract.
He had an initial meeting with CNOOC President Yang Hua in 2012, but the talks have stalled, with the territorial conflict hampering exploration in the area.
Pangilinan said Forum still intends to drill two wells in first half of 2016.
"We will do it on our own if we have to ... as long as we are not disturbed," he said.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- CNOOC Completes Test Runs at Huizhou Refinery in Guangdong - Report (Oct 09)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- China's CNOOC Begins Oil Partner Hunt in Mexico Deep Waters (Sep 15)
Company: Forum Energy more info
- Philex Seeks Foreign Partner to Explore for O&G in Parts of South China Sea (Jul 15)
- Forum Energy to Stop Exploration Work at SC 72 Due to Philippine-China Spat (Mar 03)
- Filipino-UK Firm To Drill For Gas In Disputed Sea (Sep 26)