AWE Provides Update on Drilling at Senecio-3 Well in Perth Basin
AWE Limited, as Operator of Permits L1/L2 in the Perth Basin, Western Australia, reported Tuesday that as at 06:00 hours (6.00am) AWST today, the Senecio-3 appraisal well was at a measured depth of 8,828 feet (2,691 meters) in an 8.5 inch hole and was running in the hole before drilling to planned total depth of 9,130 feet (2,783 meters).
A section of core was cut from 8,651 feet (2,637m) to 8,828 feet (2,691 meters), recovering 141 feet or 43.23 meters (80 percent core recovery) of Dongara/Wagina sandstone. Gas shows and fluorescence were observed while coring the well.
The Senecio-3 appraisal well is designed to test the unconventional gas potential in the western side of the Senecio reservoir. Core samples and log data will be collected and sent for analysis and AWE will not conduct hydraulic fracture stimulation on Senecio-3 at this stage.
If the results are positive, AWE anticipates commencing the approvals process for the first phase of the Senecio unconventional gas field development. The Senecio-3 well could potentially be re-completed as a production well in a future field development.
The Senecio-3 appraisal well is located on agricultural land approximately 9 miles (14.5 kilometers) east of Dongara, Western Australia, and 4.3 miles (7 kilometers) from the operating Dongara gas plant.
The Joint Venture partners in L1/L2 are:
- AWE Limited (via subsidiaries) (Operator) - 50.0 percent
- Origin Energy Resources Limited - 50.0 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)