Drilling Continues at Whio-1 Exploration Well in PEP 51313 Offshore NZ
Cue Energy Resources Ltd (Cue) reported Friday that it has been advised by OMV New Zealand Ltd (OMV), the Operator of permit PEP 51313 offshore New Zealand, that at 07:30 hours (local time) on Friday Aug. 15, the Whio-1 well was drilling ahead at a depth of 5,190 feet (1,582 meters) measured depth rotary table (MDRT) in 12.25 inch hole, and is drilling towards the planned total depth of 9,445 feet (2,879 meters) MDRT.
Whio-1 is being drilled from the Kan Tan IV (mid-water semisub) at a surface location 68.3 miles (110 kilometers) south-west of New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand and 2.8 miles (4.5 kilometers) south-east of the Maari well-head platform.
Cue has been advised by the Operator that the upper reservoir objectives (Whio A, M2A, and Upper Moki) at Whio are water-bearing. Whio-1 is currently being drilled towards the deeper reservoir objectives, of which the Mangahewa Formation is the primary target, and which is oil bearing in the Maari Field. The secondary lower reservoir objectives are the Kaimiro and Farewell formations. Success in the remaining objectives at Whio will open additional exploration potential along the Tasman Ridge to the south of Maari, including the Matariki prospect.
Cue is free-carried by OMV in the drilling and completion of Whio-1 under the terms of a farm-out agreement signed in December 2012. In the event of a commercial discovery in the Whio area, the participating interests of all partners will be aligned with those of the Maari Joint Venture as follows:
- Cue Taranaki Pty Ltd: Whio Current Interest - 14 percent; Whio Production Interest - 5 percent
- OMV New Zealand (Operator): Whio Current Interest - 30 percent; Whio Production Interest - 69 percent
- Todd Exploration Ltd: Whio Current Interest - 35 percent; Whio Production Interest - 16 percent
- Horizon Oil (New Zealand) Ltd (a subsidiary of Horizon Oil): Whio Current Interest - 21 percent; Whio Production Interest - 10 percent
Cue will provide weekly progress reports during the drilling of Whio-1.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)
Company: Cue Energy Resources more info
- Sampang JV Approves Project to Extend Field Life by 2 Years to 2020 (Sep 22)
- SKK Migas Extends Exploration Period for East Kalimantan's Mahakam PSC (May 04)
- NOPTA Approves Cue's WA-359-P Work Program Suspension, Extends Permit Term (Apr 14)