Odfjell Drilling Expects to Take Delivery of Deepsea Aberdeen in 4Q 2014
Norway's Odfjell Drilling reported Friday that the naming ceremony of the Deepsea Aberdeen (DW semisub) was celebrated at the Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) yard in Okpo, South Korea June 25. Mrs Karen Jones representing BP, the lady sponsor of the new ultra-deepwater drilling unit bestowed good luck for the rig and its crew.
"I am grateful for, and value, the attitudes and efforts I have experienced in meetings with DSME and the key contractors at the yard. They have done an enormous effort," states Simen Lieungh, CEO of Odfjell Drilling.
The sea trials will roll out from July-August. Odfjell Drilling is expected to take delivery of "Deepsea Aberdeen" in October/November. From Okpo in South Korea "Deepsea Aberdeen" will sail to Singapore and Mauritius, Cape Town and Las Palmas before the rig's first long trip finally ends West of Shetland to start up drilling operations for BP in first quarter 2015.
"Deepsea Aberdeen" is a sixth generation ultra-deepwater and harsh environment semisubmersible of enhanced GVA 7500 design. The semisubmersible will perform drilling operations West of Shetland under a 7-year contract with BP.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Aker BP Buys Hess' Norway Unit For $2B (Oct 24)
- BP Chairman Svanberg to Retire; Search Starts for Successor (Oct 19)
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
Company: DSME more info
- Seadrill Defers Delivery of Drillships from DSME (Jan 15)
- DSME Files Complaint with LMAA Over Songa Offshore's Newbuild Semisubs (Jul 31)
- DNV Launches JIP with South Korean Yards to Reduce Project Cost by 15% (Jul 23)
Company: Odfjell Drilling more info
- Oil Slump No Obstacle to 300% Return for Norwegian Driller (Aug 24)
- Statoil Extends Drilling Services Contracts, Kicks Off JS Platform Work (Mar 31)
- Odfjell Sees Continuing Tough Market for Offshore Drillers (Feb 29)