Ophir Contracts Dolphin Geophysical for 3D Seismic Survey Off Seychelles
Australian energy company WHL Energy Limited (WHL Energy or the Company) disclosed Tuesday that Ophir Energy plc (Ophir Energy), operator of the jointly held Seychelles exploration blocks, has contracted Dolphin Geophysical to undertake the 579 square mile (1,500 square kilometer) Junon 3D seismic survey over the Junon trend. Ophir Energy, as operator holds 75 percent equity in the Seychelles blocks and WHL Energy the remaining 25 percent.
The survey will be undertaken by the M/V Polar Duchess and is targeted to commence June 28. The survey will take 30-40 days to complete. An initial fast track processed data set is expected to be delivered in September and a PreSTM processed volume in December.
The Junon 3D seismic survey is designed to mature a number of prospects for drilling on the Junon trend in the east of the Ophir Energy/WHL Energy Seychelles acreage (Junon South, Junon East and Junon Central), an area high graded by WHL Energy’s geological studies.
David Rowbottam, WHL Energy’s managing director, commented: “It is very pleasing to see the Seychelles project reach an important milestone with the acquisition of the first 3D dataset in the acreage. Because of the geological nature of the Seychelles region, it is believed that 3D seismic data will provide a significant upgrade to the understanding of our large exploration area. The Junon 3D dataset for example is expected to provide a high definition image of the Junon structures and provide a number of prospects for targeted drill site selection.”
“The Junon 3D seismic survey fulfils the 3D seismic obligation under Ophir’s farm-in agreement with WHL Energy and the company looks forward to the results of the survey. The company anticipates that an exciting exploration drilling opportunity will mature from this data.”
During April 2014 the Republic of the Seychelles signed formal documentation approving Ophir Energy’s farm-in for a 75 percent interest in WHL Energy’s offshore Seychelles petroleum exploration project area.
As part of the farm-in agreement Ophir Energy will fully fund the initial 579 square miles (1,500 square kilometers) 3D seismic acquisition program up to a total amount of $17 million.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Ophir Energy Cuts Cost; Eliminates Staff (Jul 12)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Ophir to Borrow $1.2B from Chinese Banks for Fortuna Floating LNG (May 08)
Company: WHL Energy Limited more info
- Ophir Energy Exits Three Blocks Offshore Seychelles (Jan 18)
- WHL Energy Receives Approval to Vary Work Program (Aug 19)
- WHL Inks Agreement With Energy Capital Partners to Recapitalize Firm (Jun 03)
Company: Dolphin Geophysical AS more info
- Polarcus Wins 3D Seismic Survey Deal (Dec 15)
- Seismic Surveyor Dolphin Files for Bankruptcy due to Oil Price Crash (Dec 14)
- Dolphin Accepts LOA to Undertake 3D Seismic Projects Offshore India (Nov 09)