BGP Commences 2D Seismic Acquisition in Kenya's Block 12B
Swala Energy Limited, an Australian oil and gas company, reported Wednesday that the 2D seismic acquisition program (Program) in Block 12B, Kenya has commenced. The work will be carried out by BGP International.
Swala and its Joint Venture partner Tullow Kenya BV, a wholly‐owned subsidiary of Tullow Oil plc, will acquire approximately 217 miles (350 kilometers) of 2D seismic over the coming weeks and the data will be processed as the survey progresses. The Program is designed to identify the main structural lineation in the basins and has the potential to identify structural leads for follow‐up infill seismic and/or possible drilling.
Block 12B lies in the Neogene Nyanza basin, an off-shoot of the East African Rift System (EARS) where large quantities of oil have been proven in recent years by Tullow in Uganda and in Kenya. The seismic data will be vital in determining the forward exploration program in the block.
Although the basin has been under explored to date, with only 31 miles (50 kilometers) of low quality seismic data recorded in 1989, reprocessing of this data by Swala has revealed a possible Tertiary basin fill of over 9,842 feet (3,000 meters), supported by Passive Seismic work carried out by the Joint Venture in 2013.
Figure 2 shows one of the reprocessed 1989 lines together with an interpreted Depth to Basement Map generated from the 2012 gravity work and the 2013 Passive Seismic results. The seismic line lies along the edge of the basin. The new seismic lines will be acquired over the basin centre and over structural highs interpreted from the gravity work. The new data will be acquired using a high quality dynamite source compared with the very low impact vibrator source in 1989 and should provide a much better representation of the basin geometry and potential drilling candidates.
Dr. David Mestres Ridge, Swala’s CEO said "The start of the 12B seismic program underlines the Joint Venture’s commitment to explore this frontier basin – an offshoot of the highly prospective East African Rift System. Our technical re‐evaluation of the legacy seismic data is encouraging and we look forward to seeing the results of the seismic survey that has now commenced."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
Company: BGP more info
- Sonardyne Wins Magseis' Deal to Supply Acoustics for Saudi Aramco Project (Jul 20)
- Searcher, BGP Complete Seismic Surveys Offshore Western Australia, Norway (Jun 30)
- TGS Commences the NW Shelf Renaissance 2D Seismic Survey off Australia (Jun 29)
Company: Swala Energy Ltd. more info
- Otto Launches Legal Action Against Swala Over Tanzania's Pangani License (May 13)
- Swala Gets Extension to its Kilosa-Kilombero, Pangani Licenses in Tanzania (Aug 31)
- Swala Needs FCC Approval to Complete Farm-out of Tanzanian Blocks to Tata (Aug 05)