Russia's Rosneft, With US Partner Exxon, On Track With LNG Plant
MOSCOW, April 1 (Reuters) - Russia's Rosneft, said on Tuesday it was on track to start production at its first liquefied natural (LNG) gas plant in the country's far east in 2018-2019, despite East-West tension over Ukraine.
The world's largest listed oil company by output signalled its partnership with U.S. ExxonMobil for building the plant, which will have an initial annual capacity of 5 million tonnes, would not be affected by the standoff.
"The project is fully targeting Asia-Pacific markets. At the moment, the project's implementation is going according to the plans that were announced," Rosneft, headed by Igor Sechin, a long-standing ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, said in written replies to Reuters.
"The launch is planned for 2018-2019," said the state-controlled company, almost 20 percent owned by British oil major BP.
Rosneft said current LNG prices in Asia, at over $15 per million British thermal units (MMBtu), would enable it to successfully carry out its LNG project, in which the final investment decision is expected next year.
Russia is entering the global LNG game at a time when Qatar, Australia and others are boosting their presence on the market, and prices are being driven by growing demand in the Asia-Pacific region.
Russia has only one LNG plant, which is controlled by state-run top natural gas producer, Gazprom, and is on the Pacific island of Sakhalin. It has an annual capacity of around 10 million tonnes.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Rosneft more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- Venezuela Confirms Discussing Citgo Collateral Swap With Rosneft (Oct 04)
- CEFC Head Riffs on $30 Oil and Rosneft in 12,000-Word Note (Oct 03)