OMV Buys Stakes in 4 North Sea Licenses
Austria's OMV announced Wednesday that it has strengthened its position on the UK Continental Shelf with the acquisition of four licenses in the West of Shetland area.
The deal with Hess Corporation sees OMV increasing its share in the Cambo field from 15 percent to 47.5 percent, with OMV taking over operatorship of the field. It also gains the Blackrock prospect. The firm will acquire 60 million barrels of oil equivalent in recoverable hydrocarbons from the $50-million transaction, with further exploration and appraisal potential.
OMV said the Cambo field has "potential valuable synergies" with adjacent fields, including the OMV-operated Tornado discovery and the Suilven discovery. There are also further prospects with tie-back potential to develop Cambo as a valuable area hub, the firm added.
Meanwhile, OMV noted that the Blackrock prospect – scheduled to be drilled in 2015 – is located between the Cambo discovery and the Rosebank field (in which it also holds a stake).
OMV CEO Gerhard Roiss commented in a company statement:
"This transaction further strengthens OMV's portfolio of assets in our UK focus area, West of Shetland, where we are consistently executing our strategy of unlocking value from our investments by taking larger stakes and more projects with operatorship within our upstream portfolio."
The deal is just the latest in a handful of transactions that OMV has made in order to gain a strong presence in the North Sea region. In August, last year, the firm signed a $2.7-billion deal with Statoil to acquire several assets in the North Sea. OMV is currently on a major recruitment drive to find 1,600 additional technical staff by 2016 to help it expand its exploration and production activities.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Hess Corporation more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Hess: World Needs New Offshore Oil Investments to Avoid Shortages (Sep 28)
- Hess Slashes 2017 Capital Budget After Quarterly Loss (Jul 26)
- Suriname Signs Offshore Oil Deals with ﻿Exxon, Hess and Statoil (Jul 14)
Company: OMV more info
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
- Austria's OMV Moves Workers In Tunisia Over Gas Field Protests (May 04)