Oilex Spuds Cambay-77H Well in India's Cambay Basin
Oilex Ltd reported Friday that Cambay-77H horizontal production well drilling operations in Cambay Production Sharing Contract (PSC) in the Cambay Basin, Gujarat, India commenced March 7 with the successful completion of a six hour commissioning period at 1230 hours IST. The rig is currently drilling ahead at 249 feet (76 meters) Measured Depth (MD).
Cambay-77H is located adjacent to the Cambay-76H horizontal well that underwent a successful multiple staged fracture stimulation program along its 1,092 feet (633 meters) lateral section in 2012 but was suspended prior to testing due to downhole mechanical problems. The Cambay-77H well design incorporates all of the key operational and technical learnings that have arisen from a forensic engineering analysis of Cambay-76H by multiple expert parties.
A shorter lateral section (1,148 feet or 350 meters) coupled with a conventional “plug and perf” method for fracture stimulation is expected to facilitate the primary goal of the well-recording hydrocarbon flow information at surface during a production test. Oilex intends to inform the market about progress during drilling operations on a milestone basis as indicated below.
- Setting and cementing of the 13.375 inch casing at approximately 2,017 feet (615 meters) MD
- Setting and cementing of the 9.625 inch casing at approximately 5,413 feet (1,650 meters) MD
- Completion of drilling operations at well TD, approximately 7,732 feet (2,357 meters) MD
- Setting and cementing of the 4.5 inch production casing
- Completion of mobilization of the fracture stimulation spread to site
- Completion of the fracture stimulation program
- An announcement in relation to flow back and production testing will be dictated by the well response to the stimulation program
A time gap between setting and cementing the 4.5 inch production casing and completion of mobilization of the fracture stimulation spread is anticipated to minimize potential standby charges associated with demobilization of the drill rig from site.
Managing Director of Oilex, Ron Miller, said;
“Drilling operations have commenced within the anticipated window and I have the utmost confidence in the Oilex Well Construction Team in India. All procedures and techniques to minimize operational risks for the drilling and completion of Cambay-77H have been reviewed and implemented, although drilling operations are never without risk. We look forward to measuring a sustained hydrocarbon flow test from this well and validating not only our own expectations of this reservoir but numerous third party analyses for the potential resource base of our Cambay asset.”
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Oilex Looks to up Cambay Stake to 100% (Dec 13)
- Oilex Progressing Work Plan to Unlock Gas Resources in India's Cambay Block (Jun 27)
- Australia's Oilex, Zeta Resources Agree to Terminate Legal Proceedings (Jun 08)