Newbuild Maersk Viking Heads to the GOM to Commence Work for ExxonMobil
Maersk Drilling disclosed Monday that the company has taken delivery of its first ultra deepwater drillship, Maersk Viking (UDW drillship), from the Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) shipyard in Geoje-Si, South Korea. Maersk Viking has started its voyage to the US Gulf of Mexico where it will commence a three year contract with ExxonMobil.
Maersk Viking is the first in a series of four ultra deepwater drillships to enter Maersk Drilling’s fleet. The four drillships represent a total investment of $2.6 billion and will be delivered from the SHI shipyard in 2014.
Featuring dual derrick and large subsea work and storage areas, the drillship design allows for efficient well construction and field development activities through offline activities. With their advanced positioning control system, the ships automatically maintain a fixed position in severe weather conditions with waves of up to 36 feet (11 meters) and wind speeds of up to 85 feet (26 meters) per second.
Special attention has been given to safety on board the drillships. Equipped with Multi Machine Control on the drill floor, the high degree of automation ensures safe operation and consistent performance. Higher transit speeds and increased capacity will reduce the overall logistics costs for oil companies.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Maersk Drilling more info
Operates 5 Offshore Rigs
Manages 23 Offshore Rigs
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
- Maersk Oil Begins Culzean Drilling Campaign (Sep 29)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)
Company: Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) more info
- Samsung Wins Mad Dog 2 Fabrication Contract (Jan 05)
- After 20,000 Job Cuts, World's Top Shipyards Brace for More (Oct 26)
- South Korean Yards Restructure, Trim Workforce (Sep 08)