Debate over Langlitinden Discovery's Commercial Potential
Partners in the Langlitinden prospect on production license 659 in the Barents Sea, offshore Norway, are debating the economic viability of an oil reservoir that has been discovered.
Det norske oljeselskap is about to complete drilling operations on exploration well 7222/12-2, which was targeting hydrocarbons in the Kobbe Formation reservoir. After oil shows in the well were reported on February 10, the company confirmed that an oil-bearing channel sand of Triassic age exists in the well.
Rocksource Exploration Norway, a partner in the license with a five-percent interest, said that it is not yet possible to determine if the oil is economically recoverable. Det norske said that after extensive sampling, movable hydrocarbons were proved in the main target for the well but a mini drill stem test (DST) proved poor reservoir properties, and the firm added that it is of the opinion that volumes proven in the well are insufficient to justify a field development.
The well was drilled to a total depth of 9,440 feet below sea level in a water depth of 1,110 feet. It will now be permanently plugged and abandoned, Det norske said.
Det norkse, the operator of PL659, holds a 20-percent stake in the license. Other partners include Lundin Petroleum (20%), Tullow Oil (15%), Petoro (30%) and Atlantic Petroleum (10%).
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Lundin Board Proposes Malaysia, France, Netherlands Asset Spin Off (Feb 13)
- Swedish Oil Firm Lundin Sees Output More Than Doubling Next Decade (Feb 01)
- Lundin's Development Expenditure to Top $1B in 2017 (Jan 19)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Tullow Oil Signs Exploration Contracts Offshore Ivory Coast (Oct 11)
- Britain's Tullow Launches Oil, Gas Exploration In Zambia (Aug 11)
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: Det norske oljeselskap ASA more info
- Det Norske Completes Merger with BP Norge, Creates Aker BP (Sep 30)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit Offshore Norway (Sep 20)
- Det Norske Increases Production Guidance for 2016 (Sep 14)
Company: Rocksource ASA more info
- Gas Discovery at Ivory Well Inconclusive (Dec 02)
- VNG's Pil Well Flows at 6,710 Bopd (Apr 10)
- VNG Norge Hits Oil, Gas with Pil Well (Mar 06)
Company: Atlantic Petroleum more info
- Atlantic Petroleum to Sell Orlando Stake (Jun 06)
- Debate over Langlitinden Discovery's Commercial Potential (Feb 21)
- Hydrocarbon Shows in Langlitinden Well in Barents Sea (Feb 10)