Polish PM Sees Approval of New Shale Gas Law within Two Weeks
WARSAW, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Wednesday his government would approve new investor-friendly laws within two weeks aimed at cutting red tape and regulatory hurdles that have dented the country's push to develop shale gas resources.
Poland launched a major push into shale three years ago when Tusk announced the country would seek to produce unconventional gas on a commercial scale in 2014 in an effort to wean the nation off Russian supplies.
But a 2012 report that cut Poland's estimated reserves by about 90 percent, the lack of a legal framework and some poor initial drilling results prompted Marathon Oil, Talisman Energy and Exxon Mobil to quit the country.
Tusk said the government should approve a new, more business-friendly draft of a shale gas law in two weeks and would not pursue the creation of a state-owned operator.
An earlier version of the draft saw a state operator called NOKE having a stake in each licence and able to control the investments - a proposal shale companies criticised as too far-reaching.
"Today we understand that in order to count money from shale gas, we must first of all begin to extract it," Tusk said at a news conference along with recently appointed Environment Minister Maciej Grabowski.
"We need to cut down on bureaucracy concerning shale gas exploration. To encourage exploration we have to prepare a less rigorous bill."
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 8 Offshore Rigs
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Marathon Oil Corp. more info
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
- Marathon Oil Cuts Capital Budget After Posting Quarterly Loss (Aug 02)
- Marathon Oil's Loss Smaller Than Expected On Higher Crude Prices (May 05)
Company: 3Legs Resources more info
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)
- 3Legs Starts Flow Test at Polish Well (Aug 15)
- France's Total Calls Time on Polish Shale License (Apr 14)