Arrow Energy Cuts Around 250 Jobs at CSG Project in Queensland
Arrow Energy Pty Ltd, a 50-50 joint venture between Royal Dutch Shell plc and PetroChina Ltd., has cut around 250 jobs from the company's coal seam gas project in Queensland, Australia, according to local newspaper The Australian Monday.
Arrow Energy had "conducted a review of staffing levels as it manages costs ... (and) while the company acknowledges this will be a difficult time for employees, it is committed to supporting them through this transition," a company spokesman told The Australian.
The job losses reportedly included several senior managers from a workforce which had previously stood at 1,200.
The job cuts were made amid concerns over the economic viability of the project's liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant near Gladstone, Queensland, with the development plan approved by the Federal Government in December.
Arrow Energy's proposed LNG plant is likely to encounter cost pressures on wages, services and infrastructure as it will be located near three other LNG projects, which are already under construction.
"The company remains focused on finding additional value and reducing overall costs. Arrow will continue to assess development options, including collaboration opportunities, as it looks to develop significant gas reserves," the company spokesman told the Australian daily.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: PetroChina more info
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- Ecuador to Offer Oil Blocks Under New Bidding Terms in Jan (Oct 06)
- Kazakhstan To Sell 5 Bcm Of Gas To China For $1B (Oct 03)
Company: Arrow Energy Pty Ltd. more info
- Gas Export Boom Loser May Win From Australia Supply Crunch (May 15)
- Senex Energy Appoints New Chief Financial Officer (Jul 29)
- WDS Clinches Contract for Arrow's Daandine Expansion Project in Queensland (Jun 10)