Keel Laying Commences for Petronas' PFLNG 1 Facility at DSME's Okpo Yard
Malaysia's state-owned oil and gas company Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas) reported Wednesday that the keel laying process for the company's first floating liquefied natural gas facility (PFLNG 1) has commenced this week, marking another significant milestone in the construction of the facility at the Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME) shipyard in Okpo, South Korea.
The first block of the keel, the basic structure around which the hull of the FLNG vessel will be built, was laid Jan. 6 in the presence of the integrated project team led by Petronas with its partners, Technip and DSME.
“The keel laying signifies yet another significant achievement of the project in its construction phase,” said Abdullah Karim, Petronas’ vice president and venture director of LNG Projects – Domestic, Gas & Power Business.
“We would like to thank the project teams for their perseverance and dedication that led to this milestone in a safe manner, in line with our plans and expectations,” he added.
The construction of the PFLNG 1 facility, which commenced in June 2013 with the cutting of the steel for its hull, is scheduled to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2015, making it the world’s first to be in operation.
When operational, the facility will have a weight of about 125,000 tons and is 1,197 feet (365 meters) in length, which is equivalent to three times the length of an NFL football field. It will also be the first to use the dual row cargo containment system to ensure limited sloshing within its hull.
The PFLNG 1 facility will be located in Malaysia’s Kanowit gas field, 111 miles (180 kilometers) offshore Sarawak. It will produce 1.2 million tons of LNG per year and will play a significant role in Petronas’ efforts to unlock the gas reserves in Malaysia's remote and stranded fields currently deemed uneconomical to develop and evacuate.
Operates 9 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Petronas' Canadian Unit To Look At Other LNG Opportunities (Oct 11)
- Adviser: Malaysia's Petronas Puts Some Canadian Assets Up For Sale (Oct 04)
- Petronas Chem Sells Half Of Polymers Business To Saudi Aramco For $900MM (Oct 02)
Company: Technip more info
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Bapco To Meet Technip-Led Consortium For Talks On Refinery Expansion (Aug 22)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)
Company: DSME more info
- Seadrill Defers Delivery of Drillships from DSME (Jan 15)
- DSME Files Complaint with LMAA Over Songa Offshore's Newbuild Semisubs (Jul 31)
- DNV Launches JIP with South Korean Yards to Reduce Project Cost by 15% (Jul 23)