New Obama Adviser Will Not Work On Keystone XL
by The Associated Press
|Wednesday, December 11, 2013
WASHINGTON (AP) — A new senior adviser to President Barack Obama will recuse himself from deliberations on the Keystone XL oil pipeline, the White House said Wednesday.
John Podesta, a former chief of staff under President Bill Clinton, has spoken out against the pipeline, which would carry oil derived from tar sands in western Canada to refineries in Texas. Podesta founded the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank that opposes the pipeline.
Podesta's hiring cheered environmental groups, who say the $7 billion project would be a major contributor to global warming. They also worry about spills of tar sands oil, which is heavier than conventional oil.
Some Keystone supporters, including Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., expressed alarm, calling Podesta's inclusion in Obama's inner circle a possible death-knell for the pipeline. Backers say the project would create thousands of jobs and boost North American energy independence.
The White House says Podesta suggested that he not work on Keystone because his views are well-known.
Obama is expected to decide early next year on Keystone, which is under review at the State Department.
The White House said earlier this week that Podesta will serve a one-year post as counselor to focus on energy and climate change issues.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
More from this Author
Most Popular Articles