Oil Firms Step Up Exploration in Morocco's Atlantic Waters
LONDON, Oct 18 (Reuters) – Oil companies are stepping up exploration in Morocco, attracted by its stability relative to other parts of North Africa and encouraged by advances in geology and technology that indicate its potential for reserves offshore.
Independent explorers have snapped up rights to explore offshore blocks over the past 18 months, and they are now making way for big players seeking acreage in a nation once dismissed as the energy-poor neighbour of OPEC members Algeria and Libya.
Damon Neaves, managing director of Australia's Pura Vida Energy, said 10 exploration wells would be drilled off Morocco in the next 12 to 18 months, compared with only nine since 1990, according to analysts' estimates.
"That represents an investment of $500 million to $1 billion, and that is a big show of confidence from the industry," Neaves told Reuters. "It is still a frontier region and is underexplored compared to other parts of the world."
BP is the latest oil major to enter Morocco, announcing a deal with Kosmos Energy this week to take a share in three offshore blocks. Drilling will begin next year. Britain's Cairn Energy said on Thursday it would shortly begin drilling off the Moroccan coast.
They follow Chevron, the second-largest U.S. oil company, which said in January it had taken up three offshore blocks.
By contrast, some oil firms have recently turned away from Libya due to disappointing finds and supply disruptions and from Algeria, where security concerns have mounted since an attack on a gas plant this year killed 40 workers.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- BP Chairman Svanberg to Retire; Search Starts for Successor (Oct 19)
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
Company: Cairn Energy more info
- India Plans Larger Oil Auctions as Modi Pursues Import Cuts (Sep 14)
- Cairn Energy: SNE-5 Appraisal Well Hits Oil, Gas (Mar 07)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)