Drilling Underway at Geoffrey-1 Well in Cooper-Eromanga Basin
Australia-listed oil and gas exploration company Icon Energy Limited (Icon) reported Wednesday that the Geoffrey-1 well in ATP 855 in the Cooper-Eromanga Basin on the eastern side of the Queensland and South Australian border was spud Monday Oct. 14.
Geoffrey-1, a vertical exploration well in ATP 855, will be drilled by the Ensign 916 rig to an expected depth of 13,996 feet (4,266 meters) and will further evaluate the shale and basin-centred gas play in the Toolachee, Daralingie, Roseneath, Epsilon, Murteree and Patchawarra Formation intervals within the Queensland portion of the Nappamerri Trough.
The Geoffrey-1 vertical exploration well will be:
- the most easterly petroleum exploration well within the ATP 855 permit
- located 22.3 miles (36 kilometers) to the north-east of Hervey-1
- evaluated over the entire Permian section down to the base of the Patchawarra Formation and
- cased and suspended pending subsequent hydraulic stimulation and flow testing through multiple zones
Geoffrey-1 is the fourth well in ATP 855 following on from Halifax-1, Hervey-1 and Keppel-1, all of which confirmed the continuation of the basin-centred gas play in the Nappamerri Trough in Queensland. A further two wells are planned after Geoffrey-1. The next well to be drilled will be Redland-1 in the north of the permit, and this will be followed by a sixth well at a location yet to be confirmed.
It is proposed to commence hydraulic stimulation operations in the first quarter of calendar year 2014, beginning with the Hervey-1 well.
Icon believes that the Nappamerri Trough has the potential to be a world class shale and basin-centred gas province.
During the drilling of Geoffrey-1 we will provide meaningful and timely announcements on the progress of the well which will be published on Icon’s website.
Interests in ATP 855
- Icon Energy Limited: 35.1 percent
- Beach Energy Limited: 46.9 percent (Operator)
- Chevron Australia Exploration 1 Pty Ltd: 18 percent
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Icon Energy, Shantou Sino Energy Extend Deadline for Gas Sales Agreement (Jun 26)
- Icon Secures Renewal of ATP 594 in Queensland's Cooper-Eromanga Basin (May 15)
- Beach Ups Contingent Resources of Nappamerri Trough Project, Chevron Quits (Mar 30)