Russia Charges 30 with Piracy Over Greenpeace Arctic Protest
Russia's Investigative Committee, which answers to President Vladimir Putin, said all the accused had denied guilt and refused to give substantive testimony relating to the piracy charges. It said the investigation was continuing.
The Arctic holds 13 percent of the world's undiscovered oil and 30 percent of its undiscovered gas, the U.S. Geological Survey estimates. However, its economic viability, as well as its environmental safety credentials, remain a matter of debate.
Prirazlomnaya is Russia's first offshore Arctic oil rig, giving it an important role in the energy-reliant nation's effort to extract resources in the region.
Global majors including ExxonMobil, Eni and Statoil have agreed deals with Russia's state-owned Rosneft to enter Russia's Arctic offshore waters, projects seen as crucial to maintaining the 10 million barrels a day of oil flow from the world's No. 1 producing nation.
Russia's economy has slowed in recent years after growing robustly during Putin's initial stint as president in 2000-2008.
Putin, whose current term ends in 2018, told a meeting of his ruling United Russia party on Thursday that the Arctic was an "extremely important region" in terms of both national security and economic development.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: OAO Gazprom more info
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
- Russia's Gazprom Signs LNG Supply Deal With Ghana (Sep 18)
- Gazprom Says Sanctions Won't Stop Nord Stream 2 Pipeline Project (Aug 30)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Looks To Strengthen Ties With Rosneft, Maybe In LNG (Oct 19)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)