CEO: Petrobras, IBV Brasil Offshore Oil Find 'Beautiful'
RIO DE JANEIRO, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Brazil's state-led oil company, Petroleo Brasileiro SA, and its Indian partners have made a "beautiful" oil discovery off Brazil's northeast coast and it will produce a minimum 100,000 barrels of petroleum a day starting in 2018, the company's chief executive officer said on Friday.
Maria das Graças Foster, the chief executive, declined to say how big the discovery is but said it was an important new oil "province" for Brazil and that its large potential reserves would create a rush of jobs and activity to the area that will need to be managed carefully.
On Thursday, Reuters exclusively reported that the discovery, centered on the SEAL-11 offshore exploration block, likely holds more than 1 billion barrels of oil and that the region will soon become Brazil's biggest new oil frontier.
The SEAL-11 block is 60 percent-owned by Petrobras and 40 percent-owned by IBV Brasil, a 50-50 joint venture between India's Bharat Petroleum Corp (BPCL) and Videocon Industries Ltd.
"In 2008 we decided to do a very extensive investigation of the area, and the results we have got have been very good," Foster told reporters at company headquarters in Rio de Janeiro. "This is a beautiful discovery, beautiful discoveries."
In addition to light, high-quality crude oil, the region has important quantities of gas, she added.
Two prospects in the area, known as Farfan and Muriu, are expected to be developed as a single or integrated unit, with at least one floating production, storage and offloading ship (FPSO) producing oil and gas from the area in 2018, Foster said.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Bharat Petroleum more info
- Top Oil Market Summons Poseidon to US-Mideast Crude Fight (Jul 18)
- Petronet Eyes 2019 Rescue for Nearly Idle $700 Million LNG Plant (Jul 18)
- India BPCL Makes Its First US Oil Purchase, Buys Mars, Poseidon (Jul 17)
Company: Videocon Industries more info
- Sources: Petrobras To Sell 'Junk' Fields As Big Finds Delayed (Jul 05)
- Petrobras' Indian Partners Fight Delay In Troubled Brazil Oil Project (Jul 04)
- India's Videocon Considers Divesting Upstream Assets to Repay Debts (Jun 13)