Exxon, Shell May Bid in Sri Lanka Oil, Gas Block Auction - Govt
NEW DELHI, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Oil majors Exxon Mobil Corp, Royal Dutch Shell Plc and France's Total have shown interest in bidding for blocks offered in Sri Lanka's current licensing round, the island nation's upstream regulator said on Thursday.
Sri Lanka has tried to reinvigorate oil and gas exploration efforts since the end of a three-decade war with Tamil separatists in May 2009. The country does not currently produce oil and spent $5 billion on imports in 2012.
Italy's ENI and India's ONGC Videsh and Cairn India could also bid for the blocks, Saliya Wickramasuriya, head of the Petroleum Resource Development Secretariat (PRDS), told Reuters at an industry event.
Sri Lanka expects to award 13 exploration blocks in the Cauvery and Mannar basins off its northwest coast in the first quarter of 2014.
"(These) six and some smaller companies have shown interest as of now ... on more than one occasion they have visited us and continue to seek clarification on terms of the contracts," Wickramasuriya said.
Sri Lanka has also offered six ultra-deepwater blocks off the southeastern coast for a joint study with PRDS to establish their hydrocarbon potential.
Total and a couple of other companies are eyeing these joint study blocks, Wickramasuriya said.
The first review of proposals will take place next week, followed by an announcement in October, he said.
"We will review every month," Wickramasuriya added.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)